Noninvasive Body Contouring
If stubborn pockets of fat that refuse to respond to diet and exercise have you feeling frustrated, CoolSculpting may be the solution you need. CoolSculpting is an FDA-approved noninvasive body contouring treatment that specifically targets small pockets of fat through a process called Cryolipolysis. Fat lipids crystallize at a lower temperature than other cells, allowing CoolSculpting to specifically target fat cells by freezing them and leaving surrounding tissue unharmed.
At Jeffrey C. Dawes, MD, Plastic Surgery, we are proud to offer the latest in body contouring treatments to our patients to help them achieve their aesthetic goals. If you are at a loss on how to eliminate lingering fat from previous weight loss or pregnancy, then schedule an appointment to discuss CoolSculpting with Dr. Dawes and learn how you can benefit from this nonsurgical approach to fat loss.
Is CoolSculpting Right for Me?
CoolSculpting is a gentle, noninvasive procedure that is strictly intended for fat loss, not weight loss. You will not notice much, if any, weight loss, although you will notice a difference in your body contours. Good candidates for CoolSculpting treatments:
- Are within 20 to 25 pounds of their ideal body weight
- Have a mild to moderate amount of fat that they would like eliminated
- Have tried diet and exercise to remove fat pockets but been unsuccessful
- Have realistic expectations for what CoolSculpting can do for them
- Are able to maintain a stable and healthy body weight
- Would prefer to avoid surgical fat loss treatments like liposuction
CoolSculpting can treat pockets of fat located in the abdomen, thighs, arms, flanks, back and neck. Just one treatment reduces an average of 25 percent of fat in the targeted area. Most patients require a series of treatments to receive optimal results. Two to six treatments may be necessary depending on the amount of fat you would like eliminated and how many areas you would like to treat. Treatments are typically spaced six to eight weeks apart.
During your initial consultation with Dr. Dawes, he will determine the optimal treatment schedule needed to achieve your desired contours and adjust as necessary as your results come in.
How CoolSculpting Is Performed
During your CoolSculpting appointment, Dr. Dawes will mark out the targeted area and place a gel liner over your skin. The CoolSculpting applicator is then attached to the targeted area and left in place for a one-hour cycle. The applicator applies a gentle suction to pull fat tissue between the cooling paddles and gradually draws heat out from the fat cells until they begin to break down. Since fat freezes at a much lower temperature than other cells, your surrounding skin and muscle in the targeted area will not be affected.
During the treatment, you may feel mild pain or discomfort for the first ten minutes or so until numbness sets in. While the treatment gets to work, you will be free to relax in one of our comfortable beds and listen to music. If your treatment plan involves targeting multiple areas of fat, the process will be repeated at the end of the one-hour cycle.
Recovery and Results Expectations
Because CoolSculpting is a gentle, nonsurgical procedure, side effects are minimal and downtime is nonexistent. At the end of your treatment, you are free to leave and resume all normal activities. Your skin in the targeted area may have some slight redness, but this will dissipate over the course of a few hours.
Common side effects include numbness, bruising and pain in the targeted area. If present after your treatment, these side effects are typically mild and will last only two or three weeks. Following your treatment, you will not need to rest or take time off from your daily schedule. CoolSculpting’s effective results and high level of convenience make it a popular choice for people with a busy lifestyle.
Once fat cells have been destroyed through Cryolipolysis, your body will begin naturally processing and removing them through the lymphatic system. Results may not be noticeable for the first four weeks and can continue to develop for up to 12 as your body clears away the dead cells. Once your final results develop, make sure to maintain a healthy lifestyle to ensure your new contours are here to stay. CoolSculpting completely destroys the targeted fat cells so they will not come back, but it will not prevent new fat from accumulating due to unhealthy habits.
If you would like to receive your final results in time for a special event like a wedding or vacation, let Dr. Dawes know and he will make sure your treatment schedule aligns with your expectations.
Initial Consultation with Dr. Dawes
If noninvasive fat loss treatments interest you, call Jeffrey C. Dawes, MD, Plastic Surgery today at 403-571-3141 to schedule your initial consultation. Dr. Dawes will explain the CoolSculpting procedure to you in detail and determine if you are a good candidate for the treatment based on your body contouring goals. Our expert staff looks forward to helping you achieve your aesthetic goals with the latest in noninvasive fat loss treatments.
- How much fat is removed per treatment?
- Typically, fat will be reduced by 20-25% per treatment.
- How will I know if a 2nd treatment will be required?
- When possible Dr. Dawes and/or one of his certified Coolsculpting technicians will tell you if they think a second treatment in a given area will likely be necessary. Generally, you will start to see results after 4 weeks, with maximal results seen at 12 weeks. If adequate changes are not seen by around 8 weeks, a second treatment may be recommended.
- Will I see Dr. Dawes prior to treatment?
- Yes. All patients see Dr. Dawes in consultation prior to being offered Coolsculpting as a viable treatment option.
- Is it painful?
- Sometimes. Pain is often (but not always) felt in the first few minutes of the procedure. Rarely, late-onset pain and/or itching may be experienced. Such pain is self-limiting, usually does not require medication and does not last more than two weeks.
- Will I have bruising?
- Bruising may occur and be present for up to 3 weeks.
- How many cycles will I need?
- Dr. Dawes will determine how many cycles you will require, as well as whether he thinks more than one treatment will be necessary for a given area. For an abdomen for example, 4-6 cyles are typically required for a single treatment. 2-4 for the flanks and 1-2 for the inner arms, thighs and saddlebag areas.
- How long does each cycle take?
- Each treatment area requires one ‘cycle’, which takes one hour, not including set-up and applicator application.
- Where can I find out more about Coolsculpting?
- For more information, including how Coolsculpting works, real patient testimonials, etc. go to www.coolsculpting.com.