Following your surgery
Upon leaving the surgical facility, patients are provided the following:
- Post-operative instructions
- A number to call Dr. Dawes or one of his qualified nursing staff 24/7
- Post-operative medications (if applicable)
- Follow-up instructions
- Information on adequate sunscreen protection
Patients will receive a phone call the day after their procedure to ensure that they are doing well, that they understand their post-operative instructions and that they know when they are to return.
- What if I have questions or concerns after the procedure?
- Upon completion of the procedure, patients are provided with written instructions for wound care, along with a phone number to call 24/7 with questions or concerns. Alternatively, patients may book an appointment to see Dr. Dawes on an urgent basis to have their questions answered.
- Where will I go for follow-up?
- Usually, patients will return to the Mohs surgical facility for their follow-up appointment.
- How often will I have to return for follow-up?
- Generally, patients are asked to return for follow-up at six weeks and again at three months following their Mohs procedure and reconstruction. Specific instructions are provided for patients following their procedure(s).
- Who will monitor my skin for skin cancer afterwards?
- For ongoing skin monitoring after skin cancer, patients are instructed to see their referring dermatologist. Patients without a dermatologist (i.e. those referred directly by a family physician) will be provided a referral.