Achieve balanced proportion, alleviate discomfort
Excessively large or pendulous breasts can be both emotionally and physically stressful (in areas such as the back, breast and shoulder)—impairing some women’s ability to lead a normal, active and healthy lifestyle.
Breast reduction surgery (mammoplasty) reduces breast size in proportion to your body frame, helping to alleviate associated discomfort. Out of all plastic surgery procedures, breast reduction boasts one of the highest satisfaction rates, with patients often reporting enhanced confidence and a more positive self-image.
Is breast reduction for me?
As with other cosmetic procedures, breast reduction surgery is a personal decision. It should be done only to help you feel positive about your appearance rather than to fit a particular image or ideal.
A breast reduction may be right for you if:
- You are concerned that your breasts are too large
- Your breasts limit your physical activity or are socially inhibiting
- You have indentations in your shoulders from bra straps
- You have skin irritation within or beneath your breast crease
- Your breasts hang low and your nipples rest below your breast crease
- Your nipple-areola complex is enlarged or your nipples lack sensation
Good candidates for breast reduction surgery are individuals who:
- Are healthy and maintain a stable weight
- Are non-smokers
- Have realistic expectations for breast reduction improvement
How breast reduction surgery is performed?
Various techniques are used for breast reduction surgery, including standard and vertical incision patterns. Dr. Dawes will outline the differences in these methods and provide you with a recommendation based on your breast size and body type.
Recovery is about two to four weeks. Results are long lasting, though your breast shape will continue to be affected by weight fluctuations, hormonal factors and the natural aging process.
- Is a breast reduction covered by Alberta Health & Wellness?
- In most cases, a breast reduction is covered under Alberta Health & Wellness.
- Will a breast reduction remove the fat on the side of my breasts and/or around my back?
- Some women have fat tissue extending from the sides of their breasts, around to their back. This fat is not addressed using standard breast reduction techniques. In such cases, patients may be offered liposuction as an adjunct to their breast reduction procedure. This added procedure is considered cosmetic, and associated surgical fees may apply.